“The inspiration for creating my artworks are the finest details, summed up in the overall beauty of nature. It is my aim to capture that feeling of perfection and the natural spirit in my paintings.“
About the artist
Diana Höhlig was born 1985 in Germany, today she works and resides in Switzerland. Her love for nature and art started with early childhood. Diana grew up in a village of Eastern-Germany. Surrounded by field and wood, she spent her childhood playing in the nature and climbing trees. Her beloved company was pet chickens and other farm animals. Today, Diana describes her relation to nature and art as the true essence of life. She loves the deep, honest feeling of joy, to be close to a wild animal, or to get inspired at the sight of a wilderness landscape.
Diana loves to travel locally and internationally, since it is very important to her to find new inspiration in nature and to research her subjects on a personal basis.
During her biology study time she has spent a half year at the North Sea island Heligoland. Watching the local wildlife and sea bird colonies up-close at the “Red Rock” was a key-experience and important force in her artistic career. Afterwards she begun to focus on bird paintings and won the prestigious German award for bird painters “Silver Owl” in 2013.
Diana also visited parts of North America; the west coast from Vancouver to Oregon, as well as the Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain national parks. Her most recent study trip to East-Africa was a special artist conservation trip organized by well known Wildlife Artist and Naturalist Jan Martin McGuire.
Today, her works are shown in national and international exhibitions (Modern Bird Paintings - Germany, DSWF Wildlife Artist of the Year - UK, Birds in Art - Woodson Art Museum, U.S.A.). Diana's art is also recognized in international publications like the New European Breeding Bird Atlas, which will show some of her bird illustrations, to be published in 2020.
- Illustration for "EBBA 2" project (the new European Breeding Bird Atlas)
- "Birdrace-Artist 2014", illustration work for the umbrella association of the German avifaunal society (DDA)
- Publication about my works regarding the "Modern bird paintings" exhibition 2013 within the ornithological paper “Eulenrundblick” (annual issue; April 2014) written by the committee for the owl protection e.V.
- Publication about the "Modern bird paintings" exhibition 2013 and my Award winning work within the ornithological paper “Der Falke” (Dezember 2013)
- Illustration work for the dog magazine “VerBINdet” publicated by the association “Bretonen in Not e.V“ (annual issues 2012, 2013)
Titel & Association
- SSA - Signature Member - International Society of Scratchboard Artists (ISSA)
- SSA - Signature Member - Artists for Conservation (AFC)
- Active Member - Society of Animal Artists (SAA)
- Heineanum; Museum of Natural History (GER)
- Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum (U.S.A.)
- “German Award for Bird Painters - Silver Owl 2013“ juried by the association Museum of Natural History "Heineanum e.V.", Halberstadt (Germany)
- "Golden Turtle 2017" - Second Place nomination in "GRAFIC ART. THE PORTRAIT OF THE ANIMAL"
- "Golden Turtle 2018" - Third Place nomination in "GRAFIC ART. THE PORTRAIT OF THE ANIMAL"
- ISSA International Society of Scratchboard Artists, Online Holliday Show 2017 - Second Place nomination in open division
- ISSA International Society of Scratchboard Artists, 7th annual exhibition (2018) - NEWCOMER AWARD, U.S.A.